Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has reportedly made last-minute changes to the squad for the upcoming T20 World Cup 2026, which is scheduled to begin on February 7. According to a report in the Sunday Times, Dhananjay de Silva has been dropped, and the selectors have recalled Kamindu Mendis for the global tournament.
Kusal Perera returned to the team while Mendis was kept out. Perera, who was dropped for the recent series against Pakistan, replaced Mendis, a batting all-rounder known for his part-time spin and strong fielding. Questions have been raised over this decision, as Perera has struggled for form in recent matches.
Kamindu Mendis named in Sri Lanka squad for T20 World Cup 2026
Sri Lanka Cricket has not yet made an official announcement on the changes. Saturday, January 31 is the deadline for teams to submit their squads for the T20 World Cup.
Dhananjay de Silva was recalled to the T20 squad to prove his worth in the format. In the first T20I against England, he scored 11 runs from 12 balls in an 11-run defeat, failing to increase the scoring rate at a crucial moment.
The same report states that Kamindu Mendis is a possible replacement. Although he was dropped earlier in the England series, his flexibility to bat in different roles and adjust to different match situations is seen as a strong option for tournament conditions.
Dhananjay de Silva’s place in the team is a big question – Russell Arnold
Speaking to Newswire, Russell Arnold expressed concern about Dhananjay de Silva. Arnold said that Dhananjay’s all-round skills make him valuable in Sri Lankan conditions. However, he said that considering the recent performance, Dhananjay’s place in the team is under doubt.
“A player like Dhananjay is useful because of his all-round ability, especially in Sri Lankan conditions,” Arnold said. “But considering his current form, his place in the team is a big question.”
Sri Lanka Cricket has not yet officially confirmed its final team. An announcement is expected late tonight ahead of the ICC deadline for team changes.
You should ask the selectors – Dasun Shanaka on Kamindu Mendis snub
Ahead of the T20I series against England, captain Dasun Shanaka shared his thoughts on Kamindu Mendis’s exclusion. Shanaka said that the selection call was not made by the captain alone and was taken collectively by the team management.
“This is a question you should ask the selectors. As a captain, I don’t take decisions alone. We take decisions as a group. Honestly, Kamindu is a very valuable player. This decision has been taken by many people together,” Shanaka said.
Sri Lanka, led by Dasun Shanaka, on Sunday, February 8, at Colombo’s R. Will begin their T20 World Cup 2026 campaign against Ireland at the Premadasa Stadium. Sri Lanka will also face Oman, Australia and Zimbabwe in their remaining group-stage matches.
Also read: Mathisha Pathirana breaks silence on changed bowling action after leaving CSK and joining KKR


