Australia fast bowler Pat Cummins will miss at least the opening matches of the 2026 T20 World Cup, selector George Bailey confirmed on Monday. Bailey revealed that Cummins is expected to join the team towards the end of the tournament and is unlikely to be available until the third or fourth game.
Cummins is still recovering from a lumbar stress injury. The issue first surfaced ahead of the 2025–26 Ashes series and caused him to miss four of the five Tests. Cummins underwent an intensive rehabilitation plan during the Ashes and briefly returned for the third Test in Adelaide, where he took six wickets.
He’ll probably be in that World Cup group… – George Bailey on Pat Cummins
George Bailey clarified the omission of Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Tim David from Australia’s squad for the three-match T20 series against Pakistan. He also shared updates on when each player is expected to return.
Bailey said David suffered a minor setback in his hamstring recovery last week, but is on track to be ready for the start of the tournament. He said Hazlewood is also in a similar situation, while Cummins is likely to make a comeback around the third or fourth match of the tournament.
“[David] “I think he had a very minor setback last week (recovering from a hamstring injury) so he hasn’t been able to have the running session he was hoping for, but he hasn’t had any damage since,” Bailey said.
“I think it was just off the back of a heavy week. So he’s still eyeing the start of the tournament. Josh is in the same boat and Pat is a little bit different… He’ll probably get into that World Cup group a little later in the tournament, around game three or four.”
Many more to follow…
Also read: Ravindra Jadeja, Shubman Gill sent back to domestic cricket after shameful performance in New Zealand ODI


