Sydney Thunder will start their BBL season without their captain David Warner, who has been ruled out of the match against Hobart Hurricanes due to injury. With Warner unavailable, veteran all-rounder Chris Green will take over the captaincy as the Thunder have announced a 14-player squad for the start of the season.
Sydney Thunder has included young fast bowler Charlie Anderson in its team as a local replacement player. Anderson has taken five wickets in three matches in List A cricket. This inclusion gives the Thunder a young pace option to strengthen their bowling resources for the first match of the season.
David Warner ruled out of BBL season opener for Sydney Thunder
Sydney Thunder are heading into the new season with extra motivation after losing the Big Bash final against Hobart Hurricanes last year. General manager Trent Copeland said the loss is still motivating the team as they look to start the campaign strong.
Copeland also talked about the absence of David Warner and said that the decision to rest him was taken keeping in mind the long tournament. He expressed confidence that Warner will be fit for this weekend’s match.
“We try not to dwell too much on the past but last year’s grand final loss will be fuel for us on Tuesday,” Trent Copeland said.
“Obviously not having Davy is not ideal, but we have to be careful at the start of the tournament. I’m confident he will be right for our biggest game of the year, the Sydney Smash, on Saturday.
“Charlie Anderson is one of the brightest young talents in the entire country, as we have seen with Australia A and NSW in recent times.”
David Warner injured, eyes return in Sydney Sixers match
David Warner suffered an injury to his right side while spending time with his children at the beach. He is undergoing treatment and is hoping to recover before the match against Sydney Sixers.
Warner was the Thunder’s leading run-scorer last season with 405 runs and played a big role in taking the team to the final. His absence in the first game is a blow, but the team does not want to take any risks at the beginning of the tournament.
With Warner unavailable, Sydney Thunder are likely to try a new opening combination. Warner had already hinted before his injury that he could move down the order this season depending on circumstances.
Sam Konstas could open the batting with Cameron Bancroft, Matthew Gilkes or Blake Nikitaras against Hobart Hurricanes. the match will take place here Ninja Stadium in Hobart on Tuesday, December 16.
Sydney Thunder 14-man squad vs Hobart Hurricanes:
Chris Green (captain), Charlie Anderson, Cameron Bancroft, Sam Billings, Ollie Davis, Matt Gilkes, Ryan Hadlee, Shadab Khan, Sam Konstas, Nathan McAndrew, Blake Nikitaras, Daniel Sams, Tanvir Sangha, Reece Topley
Also read: Domestic cricket legends snubbed by Gautam Gambhir reach IPL 2026 auction after franchises revolt


