The England national cricket team is all set to get a big boost ahead of the Ashes 2025-26 against the Australia national cricket team, with the first Test starting in Perth on Friday (November 21).
Ahead of the first Ashes Test, England fast bowler Mark Wood returned to action and bowled at full speed in the nets during practice at the Perth Stadium on Tuesday.
It was Wood’s first strong performance since withdrawing from a warm-up match with a hamstring problem, which had raised concerns as it came in his return game following knee surgery in March earlier this year.
Mark Wood’s brilliant comeback fills the England camp ahead of the start of the Ashes in Perth
But medical scans cleared Mark Wood, and his latest session proved he is back to hitting serious pace. The 35-year-old fast bowler’s teammates admitted the pace was so fast that it was causing him discomfort, and his return has suddenly come as a huge boost for England.
Also read: Simon Harmer launches brutal attack on Indian media after South Africa’s dominance in Kolkata Test
“He was very fast; I can tell you that from facing him. He’s bowling at very good pace, and it’s obviously great preparation for what we have here,” the AP quoted Jamie Smith as saying.
Now, the touring squad features both Mark Wood and Jofra Archer – two of the fastest bowlers in the world – and if both are selected in the playing eleven, they will be lethal to the Australian batting line-up in Perth, where fast bowlers have dominated for decades.
Even England’s other fast bowling option Josh Tongue is confident that their bowling attack is capable of taking 20 wickets in Australia if their combinations are right. “I think our bowling group has a good chance of taking 20 wickets in the game,” Tanguay said.
Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood are out, but Cameron Green is back at full speed
Meanwhile, the Australian cricket team is struggling with the loss of two of its biggest weapons. Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood have both been ruled out of the opening match of the Ashes series due to injuries.
However, the hosts have great hopes from the return of Cameron Green. Green is all set to bowl in Test cricket again for the first time since March 2024.
After being out for almost a year due to back surgery, the Australian all-rounder gradually increased his workload again and recently bowled 16 overs in a home match for Western Australia.
Also read: After the defeat in Kolkata Test, will VVS Laxman become the head coach in place of Gautam Gambhir? huge claim made
Cameron Green ready to roar as an all-rounder in the Ashes
He has now declared himself completely free from the restrictions and eager to contribute with the ball as well as the bat. Green admitted that he would have liked to bowl a few more overs under pressure, but also said that entering a long Test series feeling fresh could be a big advantage.
Green said, “It’s been a really slow build. Maybe some would prefer more competitive overs, but at the same time, it’s a double-edged sword; you get a chance to go into a series very fresh. When you get into Test cricket, there’s no need for restrictions. I’m happy to put my hand in whenever.”
Notably, the Ashes 2025-26 will begin with the Perth Test from November 21 to 25, followed by a day-night match at the Gabba from December 4. The five-match Test series will then move to Adelaide, Melbourne and finally Sydney for the remaining three Tests.


