
ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 teetering on the edge of a historical impasse Pakistan The government has officially approved the team’s participation in the tournament but has apparently barred them from playing. India On 15th February.
This ‘selective boycott’ in Colombo is a step of solidarity Bangladesh’Pulling out of the event has put the PCB at loggerheads with the ICC just days before the February 7 kick-off. When salman ali agaThe squad led by -has already arrived Sri Lanka to launch its campaign against NetherlandsThe shadow of a possible defeat in the most anticipated match of the tournament looms large in the opening week.
Ashwin reveals why Pakistan will not miss the match against India in T20 World Cup 2026 despite boycott
experienced indian spinner Ravichandran Ashwin Unaffected by political stances, he predicted with absolute certainty on his YouTube channel, Aish Ki Baat, that the match would go ahead. Ashwin highlighted that this decision could cause huge financial loss to the PCB.
He said the board would likely be forced to reimburse broadcasters for the huge revenue lost from this single fixture, which is valued at around ₹2,300 crore ($250 million). Ashwin argued that since the tournament is governed by commercial contracts, other ICC member nations would also suffer financially, leading them to put pressure on Pakistan to reverse the decision during upcoming board meetings.
“100 per cent, the match between India and Pakistan will happen. I think it will happen. These decisions will be overturned in the next 3-4 days. And that’s my guess and I hope I want to see an India-Pakistan encounter. Because there are a lot of business decisions in it. Pakistan has another problem. There could be financial loss also because you have to reimburse the broadcasters for whatever loss they have incurred. So I think they will have to compromise. It would make sense for the financial thing involved. In the ICC meeting, all these members will say that we are facing this loss because of Pakistan. Even in PSL, players can say that we will not come. Ashwin said on his YouTube channel Aish Ki Baat.
Also read: Boycott controversy: Will Pakistan be punished by ICC for boycotting India?
Ashwin on difference from historic boycott during ICC tournaments
Ashwin also explained why he believes the current situation is different from the boycotts seen in the 1996 and 2003 World Cups. He pointed out that while teams like Australia, England and this west indies After matches were previously canceled due to security and travel risks at specific host venues, the upcoming India-Pakistan game is already scheduled for a neutral site. Ashwin argued that refusing to play a specific opponent at a neutral venue is not acceptable in the modern cricket scenario.
“We will talk about the 1996 World Cup and the 2003 World Cup. Teams refused to travel to Sri Lanka. They consolidated the matches. Even in the 2003 World Cup, teams lost matches because of security and travel. But those are venue-based problems. Right now, Pakistan and India will play at a neutral venue. There is no problem with the venue either. So after all this. To say that I will not play a particular opponent is not acceptable in many ways. I hope that a better understanding will be reached and these matches will take place. Ashwin concluded.
Also read: Pakistan boycotts India’s match in T20 WC 2026: List of teams that lost ICC event matches

